Tuesday, March 09, 2004

 
Hello .. this is raed & majid translating today :*) 8-)

Ok ok... Monday, the first of March 2004

I woke up tired, feeling pain allover my body.
Kids went out to schools, and I went to the showroom.
I felt sad and moody a bit, waiting for good news about Ammar, the kidnapped cousin.
***********
Many customers came and helped me forget about my bad feelings for a while,
Then an old man with a smile on his face came and sat down,
I asked him with a complementary smile: welcome, do we know each other?
He laughed: “Um Raed! I am Abu Zahraa” (Um = the mother of, Abu = the father of)
Abu Zahraa?? Who is he? I’m sure he could notice the strange look on my face.
“Did you forget me?” he said. “I came with Zahraa to buy a water filter the other time, and you gave us a good discount...”
Well, I smiled again. No thing new! I give discounts for most of the customers!
“I was a friend of your father; I used to visit him in the library”
Oh! I stood up and laughed, we shook hands and I invited him for a cup of Chai (tea).
Ahlan Wa Sahlan (welcome)... I remembered you now
I remembered when he came with his young daughter right after the war, and they didn’t have enough money to pay, so I asked them to pay as much as they have, and I accepted although it was a small amount.
How Is Zahraa? Where is she?
He told me that she got married, “she sent you her regards from her husband’s house”.
Where do you work? I asked
I used to work in the Iraqi Television and Radio institute, but I’m retired now. Alhamdo Lellah (Thanks for god), I don’t need anything and my children work too, we are all fine.
AlHamdo Lellah, I started to wonder how I can help him...
He opened a bag which he was carrying, took a painting out of it, it wasn’t really a painting, it was more like a three dimensional model of a traditional Iraqi house, with a number on the door, a woman with Aba walking, and someone pushing his small boiled beans cart.
“This is for you, I’ve made it myself. It’s just a small complimentary to show our appreciation for your generosity”
I held the gift. Oh... It reminds me of my family’s house, the one I spent my childhood in.
The child inside me laughed and applauded!
I told him that it’s my pleasure to keep it, and smiled.
Although it looked very simple, it reminded me of the good old days, and the pure old people who used to believe in their values, principles and morals.
Suddenly I remembered the criminal kidnappers. I wish I could cry at that moment.
I walked with him to the door, and he promised to visit me always, he brings up the memories of my parents, and the memories of an era that won’t come again.

***

An Iraqi translator came, accompanied with a British Engineer working for an NGOs specialized in rehabilitating water treatment plants in different areas around Iraq. The British man looked more Arabic than European, he was skinny, wearing eyeglasses and a T-shirt with an Iraqi flag on it. I laughed... and told him that I would take a picture of him in that T-shirt. A British block with an Iraqi flag! What a beautiful idea!
“If you were an Iraqi wearing a British flag, you’d let me feel angry”, I was joking with him, “but now I am happy”.
Thank you, I said, you made my day.
He asked for a water heavy metals laboratory, with a big amount of reagents… I told him that I’ll send the engineer to bring them from the storehouse. You will find them ready after two hours.
“but I’ve got the money on my now, and I want to go to the restaurant.. I want you to prepare a receipt for me meanwhile”.
I gave him an envelope. Put you money [around $3000] in this envelope and I’ll close it and put it in the drawer… and when you are back, you may open it and pay me.
“Okay” he said, while I put the money in the drawer.
I know, deep inside, that what he did was very naïve, and what I did was also funny! No one trusts others these days.
But he had good intentions, so did I.
I had a small glee inside; there is still goodness in this world.
That old man with his simple gift… the innocent British man and his… sacrifice. His coming to Iraq, don’t tell me it’s just for the sake of money.
Only being a foreigner is quiet enough reason for him to be killed in Iraq, notwithstanding whether he worked with a humanitarian organization or with an occupying army… everything is unclear now.
I felt the pain, the anger of the kidnappers… those ignorant evil group that does not think about nothing but itself… does not understand no language rather than killing, robbing and destroying… who’s putting a limit for this?
U.S forces arrest thieves or kidnappers and let them go in no time, while they arrest anyone who dares to throw a stone at them… arrest him for good.
Why? Is it a mere lack of planning, or is it intentional? Clearing streets from the opposition and keeping looters and murderers?
Many questions and no answers… at the 20th of this month, it will be a year since the war broke out... and we are still wondering, jumping from plan to plan…
If it was the Zulu clans who had conquered Iraq, I wouldn’t have blamed them.
But it’s AMERICA… the full-of-pride of itself and its visions, what’s happening and who’s supposed to answer the questions?
And who cares?
***
I called my relatives to know the news… the kidnappers called, and asked for $200,000… two hundred thousand dollars.
You’ll never know whether to cry or to laugh?
Who has got such a spare amount of money?!
Negotiations have to keep on going, until we reach a reasonable number.
***
The British engineer came back and took the instruments he wanted, opened the envelope and paid the receipts.
When he finished his Chai, he said “Shokran”…. (Thanks)
And when he was about to leave, he said good-bye in Arabic, fee aman ellah. I laughed and said, fee aman ellah.
I told the translator to put Quran when they drive to the south, hoping that Allah will keep them safe…
Both smiled.. Maa’ Assalama… Maa’ Assalama…
***
we reached the night … it was sad and heavy…
I’m still thinking about the kidnapped cousin.
No news yet.
****



الأثنين 1/3
صحوت متعبة...جسمي كله يؤلمني..
خرج الأولاد لأماكن الدراسة...وذهبت للمحل...
مزاجي متعكر قليلا...وانتظر خبرا يطمئنني عن الولد المخطوف...
*****
جاء زبائن كثيرون...وشغلت نفسي معهم حتى أنسى قليلا..
ثم جاء رجل عجوز مبتسم الوجه....وحياني بحرارة, ثم جلس , ورسمت على وجهي إبتسامة مجاملة...
قلت عفوا ...ذكرني بنفسك ؟...ضحك وقال : أم رائد ..آني أبو زهراء !
أبوزهراء؟؟ ..من يكون ؟؟؟؟
ظل وجهي عليه علامات الإستغراب...
نسيتيني؟...جئنا أنا وزهراء واشترينا فلتر وعاملتينا بكل لطف ..وخصمت لنا من السعر...
ابتسمت...حسنا ..لا جديد..أنا أكاد أفعل هذا طوال الأسبوع...لم أفهم بعد...
كنت صديقا لوالدك , وكنت أزوره في المكتبة.....
وقفت , وضحكت..ومددت يدي ...صافحته ..وقلت له إجلس من جديد.. سنشرب الشاي سوية .أهلا وسهلا ..تذكرتك !
تذكرت إنه جاء مع ابنته الشابة بعد الحرب مباشرة...ولم يكن معهم فلوسا تكفي لشراء الفلتر..فقلت لهم إدفعوا ما تقدرون عليه...لن أعترض أبدا...ودفعوا مبلغا بسيطا...وكنت راضية تماما ...
كيف حال زهراء...أين هي ؟ قال تزوجت , وذهبت الى بيت زوجها ..وهي تهديك السلام...
أين تعمل ؟ سألته...قال كنت أعمل في الإذاعة والتلفزيون ..والآن متقاعد...الحمد لله ..لست محتاجا لشيء أولادي يعملون أيضا ..وامورنا جيدة...
الحمد لله..قلت ..وظهر في عيوني سؤال ؟ هل من خدمة أقدمها لك ؟
فتح كيسا كان يحمله ..وأخرج منه لوحة عليها مجسم لبيت عراقي قديم بشبابيك خشبية بارزة الى الشارع ..وثمةباب للبيت ...ورقم على باب البيت...وإمرأة تمشي أمام البيت تلبس عباءة عراقية...وبائع يدفع عربة يبيع فيها ربما باقلاء مسلوقة أو شلغم ..
هذه لك ...صنعتها لك في البيت ..لأنني ما زلت أتذكر طيبتك معنا أنا وبنتي...فقلت يجب أن أرد الجميل...
تناولت اللوحة...آه ..إنها تذكرني ببيت أهلي القديم الذي قضيت فيه طفولتي...
ثمة طفلة في داخلي ضحكت وصفقت فرحا...قلت له سأحتفظ بها إنها هدية جميلة جدا ...
إنها شيء متواضع ..قال وابتسم بخجل...
نعم هي تبدو بسيطة...لكنك ذكرتني بتلك الأيام الجميلة ..واولئك الناس الطيبن الذين ماتوا...وأخلاقهم وإخلاصهم
وصفاء قلوبهم...
تذكرت الخاطفين المجرمين...وددت لو أقدر أن أبكي..
ودعته...ومضيت معه الى الباب الخارجي ..وأخذت منه وعدا أن يزورني دائما...أرى فيه وأشم رائحة أمي وأبي..
وذكرى زمن مضى...ولن يعود...
******
جاء مرافق عراقي ..ومعه مهندس بريطاني الجنسية , يعمل مع منظمة غير حكومية ,لإعادة تأهيل محطات مياه الشرب..في مناطق مختلفة من العراق. الشاب شكله عربي أكثر من أوروبي...وهو ضئيل الجسم , يضع نظارة طبية على عينيه , ويرتدي تي شيرت مرسوم عليه العلم العراقي...ضحكت ,,وقلت له سألتقط لك صورة ...بريطاني يلبس العلم العراقي...شيء جميل!!
لو كنت عراقيا يلبس علما بريطانيا...لكنت أغضبتني..لكنك الآن تجعلني سعيدة !!
شكرا لك...انت ترفع معنوياتي..
طلب جهازا شاملا لفحوصات العناصر الثقيلة في الماء..يستعمل للمختبرات.وطلب عددا كبيرا من العناصر...فقلت له سأبعث بالمهندس ليأتي بها من المخزن...إرجع بعد ساعتين حتى أجهز لك الطلبية..
قال .لكن الفلوس معي , وأريد أن أذهب للمطعم...وأريد أن تحضري لي فاتورة..
قلت له خذ هذا مغلف...ضع فلوسك فيه(حوالي ثلاثة آلاف دولار)..وسأغلقه بالكابسة,وأضعه بالجارور...
وحين تعود تفتحه وتدفع لي منه ...
قال موافق!...ووضعت المغلف في الجارور...
أعلم في قرارة نفسي إن ما فعله ...محض سذاجة...وإن ما فعلته أيضا مضحك...لا أحد يثق بأحد هذه الأيام..
لكنه صافي النية...وكذلك أنا معه..
كان في داخلي فرحة صغيرة ...ثمة خير مازال في العالم...
ذلك العجوز وهديته الجميلة..وهذا البريطاني البريء...وتضحيته..وقدومه الى هنا...لا تقل لي بسبب الفلوس..
مجرد كونه أجنبي ممكن أن يكون سببا لقتله في مكان ما في العراق...دون الإهتمام إن كان مع منظمة إنسانية أو جيش محتل...إختلطت الأوراق...
وشعرت بالغضب والألم من الخاطفين...هؤلاء الفئة الجاهلة الشريرة التي لا تعيش الا لنفسها...ولا تفهم مفردات أخرى...فئة تدمر وتسرق وتقتل...من يضع لها حدا؟؟؟
القوات الأمريكية تقبض على اللصوص أو الخاطفين أو سارقي السيارات...ثم ما يلبثوا أن يطلقوا سراحهم...والذي يرميهم بحجر...غاضبا ورافضا إياهم.. كقوات إحتلال...يأخذونه ولا يعود....
لماذا؟...هل هي سوء تخطيط , أم مقصودة...تفريغ الشارع من المعتدين عليهم...وإملاء الشارع من اللصوص والقتلة؟؟؟
ثمة أسئلة لا جواب عليها....في العشرين من هذا الشهر ..يكون قد مضى على بداية الحرب سنة واحدة...وما زلنا نتخيط...ونتساءل..
لو كانت قبائل الزولو غزت العراق...فلست ألومهم..ولا أعاتبهم...
لكنها أميركا...أميركا الفخورة بنفسها ..وصواب رؤيتها للأشياء....ماذا يحدث ومن يجيب على الأسئلة؟؟؟
ومن يهتم؟؟؟؟
******
إتصلت بالأقارب لأعرف آخر الأخبار....إتصل الخاطفون وطلبوا 200 ألف دولار...
لا تعرف ..هل تضحك أم تبكي ؟
من يملك مبلغا فائضا كهذا؟؟
لابد من إستمرار المفاوضات والضغط عليهم عسى أن ينزل المبلغ الى رقم معقول....
*****
عاد المهندس البريطاني...وأخذ الأجهزة...وفتح المغلف ودفع ثمن الفواتير...
وعندما أنهى شرب الشاي قال شكرا...
وعندما أراد الإنصراف..ودعني بالعربي ...قال في أمان الله...ضحكت وقلت في أمان الله...
قلت للسائق..حين تنزلون للجنوب ..لتفقد المشاريع ,,وهو معك...ضع شريطا في مسجل السيارة يقرأ القرآن ..
وقل اللهم إحفظنا بالقرآن ...عساكم تذهبون وترجعون بالسلامة...
ابتسم الأثنان ...مع السلامة ...مع السلامة.
*****
جاء الليل...وهو حزين ثقيل...
ما زلت أفكر بالولد المخطوف...
لا توجد أخبار بعد....
****





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Extreme Tracker
Links
archives